2 tbsp traditional olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
400 g mixed Italian vegetables
4 Sweet Palermos (all different colours), deseeded and cut into strips
2 chicken stock cubes
1.2 l water
400 g cocktail sausages (tinned)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the chopped onion for a few minutes to soften it. Then add the mixed vegetables and stir-fry for a few more minutes.
2. Next, add 0.75 of each of the four Sweet Palermos along with the stock cubes and the 1.2 litre of water and bring it all to the boil.
3. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and leave to simmer gently for 7 minutes.
4. Then purée the mixture briefly into a coarse rustic soup and season to taste with salt and a tiny pinch of pepper.
5. After draining the tinned sausages, add them to the soup and cook for a further 3 minutes to heat them.
6. Fry the remaining chopped Sweet Palermo in a little oil for a few minutes to soften.
7. Transfer the hot soup to bowls and serve with the chopped Sweet Palermo as a garnish.
Tip: tasty with fresh bread or toast