2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 cm stem ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin
0.5 tbsp garam masala
2 small carrots
2.5 yellow Sweet Palermos, cut into strips
1.3 l vegetable stock
0.5 tbsp olive oil for frying
Half a yellow Sweet Palermo, cut into rings as a garnish
100 ml coconut milk
1 tbsp sesame oil
Salt and black pepper if desired for seasoning
4 sprigs fresh coriander, finely chopped
Pinch of chili flakes
1. Heat the oil in a soup pan and soften the onion, garlic and ginger. Add the cumin, garam masala, carrots and Sweet Palermo and continue cooking for a couple of minutes, stirring continuously.
2. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and then cook the soup for a further 10 minutes until the carrots is soft.
3. Fry the Sweet Palermo rings over a high heat for several minutes until soft, then transfer them to a plate or dish and put them to one side.
Remove the soup pan from the heat and purée the mixture into a smooth soup. Stir in the coconut milk and sesame oil.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer the soup into bowls and garnish with the fresh coriander and the fried Sweet Palermo rings. Add some chili flakes for extra spiciness.
Tip: serve with slices of naan bread