- 2 yellow Sweet Palermo peppers
- 100 g sushi rice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (vegan if you prefer)
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 20 g pink sushi ginger
- 1 sprig of basil
- 1 sheet of nori
1. Slice the Sweet Palermo peppers in half lengthways, remove the seeds and the green parts and then put the pepper halves to one side for later. Put the sushi rice in a saucepan, rinse the rice twice and then add 200ml water and a pinch of salt and sugar. Put the lid on the pan and bring the water to the boil over a high heat. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer until all of the liquid has been
absorbed. Turn off the heat, remove the lid and allow to cool.
2. In the meantime, make the sriracha mayonnaise by stirring the sriracha into the mayonnaise.
Spread this sauce on the inside of all four Sweet Palermo halves. Once the rice has cooled, gently stir in the mirin and 1 tsp of the sesame seeds. Spoon the rice onto two of the four Sweet Palermo halves.
3. Place the ginger and the Thai basil on top followed by the rest of the black sesame seeds. Cover with the remaining Sweet Palermo halves to make the sandwiches. Cut two approximately 2cm-wide ribbons from the sheet of nori. Wrap one around each sandwich, taking care that the ends finish underneath the sandwich. Use a tiny bit of water to moisten the ends of the nori so that
they stick together.
Your sandwiches are now ready to eat!